Thursday, April 27, 2006

Where's the Faith In Human Nature?

Well, I guess I'd better tell this one. Yesterday after work and my usual 40 mile round trip to Sabi's violin lesson, I thought I'd better do the right thing and work out before we came home. So we locked the car, walked in the YMCA, and after leaving Sabi in the children's room, I entered the Fitness room and, having no pockets, left my keys on a table and began the routine. 40 minutes later, feeling virtuous, I went back to the table and found no keys. To make a long story short (not my usual style), my keys went missing, along with my car, Sabi's violin, my purse, cards, check book, 2 pairs of glasses, cell phone etc., and most of all, my hearing aids, . Yeah, I know I shouldn't have left the keys there, but it was a habit for many of us. Never again.

After a day of dealing with all this, cancelling cards, phone, checks, etc, filing claims, checking on the police report, I guess things are somewhat under control. As I was walking through all this, I was regaled with war stories about car thefts in other health clubs and the general degenerate and unsafe society we live in.

Well, I've had a lot of unexpected and unpleasant surprises in the past few years. The work ethics promise that if you work hard will be rewarded hasn't exactly panned out, but what is one to do?

So I got back up on the horse today, drove to the Y in the car Nebur so kindly left me (he also picked up lock sets last night and re-keyed the house locks and re-set the garage door opener since my I.D. was also in the car- thank you Nebur). Of course, I left the car empty, locked it and carried my key and personal items with me from machine to machine. In any event, I got the endorphins going a bit and as I pumped, I thought about a man I knew who always looked for the best in life. So I wrote about my "Uncle Gordon" y me desahogué. That is the blog worth reading.

5 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger HispanicPundit said...

Sorry to hear about your car. Hopefully it will be found and you might get some of the more important things back, like your hearing aids.

Glad to see that Nebur is such a good son!!! I never doubted it, but it's still nice to see.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger KJERRINGA MOT STRØMMEN said...

Hola Melisa, Thanks for your kinds words. And I am very greatful that there was only property loss. On that score, we are very fortunate.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger KJERRINGA MOT STRØMMEN said...

And thank you also, HP. Yes, he is a ggod son!

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should know a little history about the southwest and the Alamo.
Americans and others,Irish, were invited to settle in the Mexican territory as Mexico was worried that the Spanish wanted to resettle the area again.
During that time Santa Anna destroyed the Mexican constitution and forced framers into the army and declared himself dictator. Anglo and latino fought a brutal dictator and defeated him. He also loved underage girls and died penniless. You are exploiting history to support your own selfish goals no matter what effect it has on other american, and you are wrong. We need a huge wall to stop the illegal invasion.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Smoke said...

Hello. I came here through a Google search for 'faith in human nature' - one of my new year's resolutions is to get some, and not be so down on the world. All that sex spam and that lunatic armchair bloke reminded me WHY I'm so down on the world.

Good luck, and may the theif be found, tarred, feathered, and run over slowly several times by the car he burgled.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home